Mosier's Raiders

About the ship
About the book
About the ship
Latest News
About the author
Purchase the book
In The News
1943 Photo Gallery
Sicily Photo Gallery
Salerno Photo Gallery
Winter 1943-44 Gallery
Normandy Gallery One
Normandy Gallery Two
Utah Beach Gallery
Post Normandy Gallery
Crew Gallery One
Crew Gallery Two
Greenland 1951 Gallery
Operation SUNEC 1954
Memorial Day 2004

The LST-325 was launched on 27 October 1942 and commissioned on 1 February 1943, with Lieutenant Ira Ehrensall the commanding officer. On February 17, during her shakedown cruise, Lt. Ehrensall was transferred to the USS LST-391 and Ensign Clifford E. Mosier replaced him. Mosier would remain the ship's commanding officer until June 1945. At the completion of her shakedown cruise in and around Norfolk, Virginia the LST-325 left from New York on 19 March for Oran, Algeria. 

The LST-325 arrived in Oran on 13 April 1943 and spent the next three months going between the ports of Arzew and Mostaganem. During this time she practiced loading and beaching operations with various American and English Army units. On June 28, the LST-325 arrived at La Goulette in the Bay of Tunis to prepare for Operation HUSKY, the invasion of Sicily.

On July 10, the LST-325 sailed from Tunis as part of the KOOL Force, the floating reserve for the DIME Force going ashore at Gela, Sicily. They arrived in the Bay of Gela on 11 July, anchoring there until the morning of the 13th before unloading the vehicles and men of the 1st Armored Division onto LCT's. They made five more trips to Sicily in support of the offensive before Messina fell on 17 August, twice bringing back loads of Italian prisoners.

On 6 September 1943 while in Bizerte, Tunisia four members of the crew were injured during an air raid. On September 13 the LST-325 sailed as part of the Northern Attack Force in support of the invasion at Salerno, Italy carrying elements of the 40th Royal Tank Regiment. Four members of the crew and four British soldiers were injured during an attack by German fighter-bombers as the ship entered the attack area. the LST-325 made three trips to the beachhead at Salerno, the last trip carrying members of a Ceylanese infantry regiment from Tripoli, Libya.

In late October 1943 the LST-325 returned to Oran, leaving there on 12 November as part of a large convoy of ships for England. On November 21 the convoy was attacked by German bombers using the new remote-controlled glider-bombs. Several transport ships were sunk and one passenger aboard the LST-325 was severely wounded by shrapnel. The convoy reached Plymouth, England on Thanksgiving Day, 25 November 1943.

From December 1943 until May 1944 the LST-325 was involved in several training exercises along the southwestern English coast. On 5 June 1944 the LST-325 sailed from Falmouth, England carrying elements of the 5th Special Engineer Brigade. They were part of Force "B", the back-up force for the troops going ashore at Omaha Beach on June 6. On June 7 the LST-325 anchored off Omaha Beach and unloaded the men and vehicles onto DUKW's and LCM's.

Between June 1944 and April 1945 the LST-325 made 44 trips between England and France, unloading at Omaha, Utah, Gold, Juno and the city of Rouen on the Seine River. Twice they carried loads of ammunition from Omaha Beach to St. Michel on the western end of the Cotentin peninsula for the Army besieging the port city of Brest. On 28 December 1944 the LST-325 helped rescue over 700 men from the troop transport Empire Javelin that had been torpedoed off the coast of France. Lt. Comdr. Mosier was awarded the Bronze Star for this rescue.

On 11 May 1945 the LST-325 sailed with a convoy from Belfast, Ireland to return to the United States. One day out from Belfast the convoy was hit by a terrific storm and scattered. The LST-325 slammed bow first into a monstrous wave and a crack developed on the main deck plating and along several bulkheads below the main deck. Shipfitters were able to save the ship by welding steel plates and even water lines ripped from the troop compartments across the damaged plates. Blessed by fair weather the rest of the way, the LST-325 sailed into Norfolk, Virginia on 31 May 1945.

From Norfolk the LST-325 sailed to the shipyards in New Orleans, Louisiana. There the damage caused by the storm was repaired and the ship was fitted with the "Brodie Device," a system used for launching and retrieving light observation aircraft from an LST. The ship went on a shakedown cruise in August 1945 to test this new gear. The day before the ship was to sail to the Pacific the news came that Japan had surrendered and the war was finally over. After a trip to Panama in late September, the LST-325 was sent to Green Cove Springs, Florida and decommissioned on 2 July 1946.

The ship was reactivated in 1951 for service in Military Sea Transport Service arctic operations. She was involved in Operation SUNAC (Support of North Atlantic Construction) in the Labrador Sea, David Strait and Baffin Bay in 1951-52. This operation was involved in constructing radar outposts along the coast of eastern Canada and Greenland. In 1961 the LST-325 was again taken out of service and became part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet.

The LST-325 was again reactivated in 1963 and transferred to Greece in May 1964. Named Syros (L-144) she served in the Greek Navy until December 1999 when she was decommissioned for the third time. In 2000 she was acquired by The USS Ship Memorial, Inc., and sailed back across the Atlantic for the final time, arriving in Mobile, Alabama on 10 January 2001. One of only two World War II LST's to be preserved in the United States, the LST-325 is currently undergoing restoration. She will eventually become a museum and memorial ship for the men who bravely served their country aboard LST's.

All materials of this website are Copyright 2004-2005 David Bronson. All rights reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without express permission from the author.